Position Reports to: Principal
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
POSITION SUMMARY & OBJECTIVES:
This School Counselor is responsible for formulating and instituting a comprehensive developmental academic school-counseling program to assist students in developing realistic goals, positive self-images and an awareness of future academic, vocational and career opportunities.
● Implementing articulation and orientation activities to provide for the smooth transition of students from grade to grade and from school to school. This includes Glenwood Academy students through grade 12.
● Coordinating and organizing student assessment procedures, including but not limited to entrance assessments and standardized testing, to provide information that can be used to improve the quality of the instructional program and provide insight and direction for the individual student in terms of educational and vocational decisions.
- Providing students with a career awareness and education program to help students realize vocational life is determined by a succession of choices beginning with school.
- Providing individual and group interventions to reveal student attitudes, feelings,
- Developing appropriate referral and resource services to assist students in utilizing both school and community resources to develop interests, skills, and opportunities.
- Developing remediation plans for students as needed.
- Assisting students in the college application process including college essays and scholarship search and acquisition.
- Assisting students prepare speeches for Glenwood Academy events including the Senior Banquet, Flag Day and graduation ceremonies.
- Planning programming for high school students on half days and supervising them when on campus during a school day.
- Communicating with teachers, house parents, and partnering high schools on a regular basis to ensure student support is in place and necessary information is shared with the appropriate parties.
- Overseeing the Glenwood Academy NJHS Program.
- Maintain communication and scholarship renewal with alumni college students throughout their college career.
- Establishing college preparatory programming.
- Working collaboratively with the Residential Services Team ensuring consistent and effective communication procedures are in place.
interests, problems, available options and possible consequences to specific decisions to help students be successful in self-directed decision-making.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in agency seminars and in-service programs as designated by administration.
- Attend designated Glenwood Academy events, programs and meetings.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A current Illinois State Teaching Certificate preferred
- Must have valid Illinois driver’s license with no suspensions in effect within the previous three (3) years of hire and access to personal vehicle required.
- No history of child abuse or neglect.
● Bachelor’s Degree in guidance and counseling or a master’s degree for completion of an approved program in guidance consisting of 48 semester hours of coursework.
● Requires well-developed written and oral communication and computer skills.
● Three to five years of school counseling experience or related work in the field.
Office and Classroom Environments. The School Counselor is a 12 month position. Low to Moderate Noise levels.
Standing, sitting, walking, talking or hearing.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position meets the FLSA requirement for EXEMPT
Job descriptions are not intended and should not be construed to be all-inclusive lists of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties from particular jobs and to assign other duties as necessary.